RRR, Kantara, Iravin Nizhal, Gangubai Kathiawadi among Indian films eligible for Oscars consideration
A total of 301 films made the cut, which has improved from 276 in 2022
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the list of feature films that are eligible for the 95th Oscars. A total of 301 films made the cut, which has improved from 276 in 2022.
All expected contenders are listed on the Academy’s annual Reminder List of Productions Eligible for the 95th Academy Awards, including the performers eligible for consideration in the acting categories.
It was a decent representation of Indian cinema in the reminder list. A total of nine films were part of the list, namely RRR, Kantara, Iravin Nizhal, Gangubai Kathiawadi, Rocketry, Me Vasantrao, The Kashmir Files, Chhello Show, The Next Morning, and Vikrant Rona.
Here are the performances that have been included in the reminder list.
1. Alia Bhatt and Ajay Devgn for Gangubai Kathiawadi
2. Parthiban, Anand Krishnan, Chandru K, Robo Shankar, Danny, Varalaxmi Sarathkumar, Brigida, Priyanka Ruth, Sneha Kumar, Pratiksha Shankar for Iravin Nizhal
3. Rishab Shetty, Kishore, Achyuth Kumar, Sapthami Gowda, and Manasi Sudhir for Kantara
4. Mithun Chakraborty, Anupam Kher, Darshan Kumaar, and Pallavi Joshi for The Kashmir Files
5. Bhavin Rabari, Bhavesh Shrimali, Dipen Raval, Richa Meena, Rahul Koli, Vikas Bala, Vijay Mer, Kishan Parmar, Shoban Makwa for Chhello Show
6. Rahul Deshpande, Amey Wagh, Anita Date, Kaumudi Walokar, Pushkaraj Chiruputkar for Me Vasantrao
7. Sanjay Kumar Mishra, Chand Halder, Kaakan Debnath, and Mina Ghosh for The Next Morning
8. Jr NTR, Ram Charan, Ajay Devgn, Alia Bhatt for RRR
9. Madhavan, Shah Rukh Khan, Rajit Kapur, Simran, Sam Mohan, and Meesha Ghoshal for Rocketry
10. Dr Sanjay Madhavrao Gaikwad and Karmanya Sanjay Mukhedkar for Tujhya Sathi Kahi Hi
11. Sudeep, Nirup Bhandari, and Neetha Ashok for Vikrant Rona
The other films up for consideration include blockbusters like Top Gun: Maverick, Avatar: The Way of Water, and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Critically acclaimed films like Everything Everywhere All At Once, The Banshees of Insherin, and Tar are also on the list, which has an interesting line up of international features, including Argentina, 1985, All Quiet on the Western Front, and Broker.
The 9,579 eligible voting members will begin filling out their ballots on January 12. The ballots will close on January 17, and the official Oscar nominations will be announced on January 24.