Sushant Singh Rajput (L) and Rhea Chakraborty (R) 
News

Sushant Singh Rajput death: Court seeks actor Rhea Chakraborty's response to CBI closure report

The central agency had in March filed its closure report in the Sushant Singh Rajput death case before a magistrate court's in suburban Bandra

PTI

A Mumbai court has issued a notice to actor Rhea Chakraborty, seeking her response to the closure report filed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in the case regarding Sushant Singh Rajput's death. The central agency had filed its closure report in the five-year-old case before a magistrate court in suburban Bandra in March.

The matter was later transferred to the Esplanade court in South Mumbai, which hears CBI cases. Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate RD Chavan, presiding over the matter at the Esplanade court, earlier this month issued a notice to the original informant/victim/aggrieved person in the case (Rhea). Rhea had filed a complaint against Sushant's sisters and a doctor alleging they were responsible for his death.

The matter will be next heard on August 12. The CBI, after probing the case, submitted a closure report. The court, after hearing parties concerned, has to decide whether to accept the report or order further probe by the agency. During its investigation, the CBI had recorded statements of Rhea, who was said to be in a relationship with Sushant, and others in his inner circle, and collected the movie star's medical records.

Sushant (34), who hailed from Bihar, was found hanging from the ceiling of his apartment in Bandra on June 14, 2020. The central agency had also taken over the probe from the Bihar Police which had registered an abetment of suicide case against Rhea on a complaint filed in Patna by Sushant's father KK Singh. In his complaint, Sushant's father had alleged Chakraborty, along with her family members, misappropriated his son's money, a charge denied by her in television interviews.

In March the CBI's closure report into the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput, filed after nearly five years of his passing, ruled out any foul play in his death, people familiar with the matter said. Officials said that based on expert opinion, analysis of the crime scene, witness statements and forensic reports, the federal probe agency came to the conclusion that there was no material to support the allegations that anyone could have driven the actor to suicide.

Tere Ishk Mein Movie Review: Dhanush and Kriti Sanon’s volatile romantic-drama needs therapy

The curious case of Oorum Blood's success and the rise of Sai Abhyankkar

Revolver Rita Movie Review: A chaotic comic caper that shoots blanks

Stranger Things 5 Vol 1 Review: Proves the Hawkins spell is still strong, even when the story starts to shake

Regai Series Review: This old-school whodunnit is mildly engaging