Raghava Lawrence does a U-turn; says he's ready to direct Akshay Kumar in Laxmmi Bomb if he is promised the respect he deserves
He revealed that the makers are coming to Chennai to meet him, and he will take a decision soon after the meeting
Raghava Lawrence, who walked away from his debut Bollywood directorial, Laxmmi Bomb earlier this month, citing creative differences with the makers, has now posted a note on social media saying he will consider taking up the project again, if he is promised respect and creative freedom.
In a one-page note, Lawrence, the director of Kanchana - the Tamil film Laxmmi Bomb is based on - says that he's been getting continual requests from his fans and Akshay's fans to direct the film, and while he feels overwhelmed with all their love, he also feels he must respect their sentiments. Also, since he had spent a lot of his time on the project's pre-production and blocked his dates for the shoot, he is ready to take up the project again, if his self-respect is valued. He also revealed that the makers are coming to Chennai to meet him, and he will take a decision soon after the meeting.
Lawrence had called it quits, ten days into the shoot, after the makers apparently unveiled the film's first look without his knowledge. He went on to write an emotional note on Twitter, saying he felt "insulted" and "disappointed."
Following this development, there were widespread reports that Farhad Samji, the writer of Laxmmi Bomb, will take over the directorial responsiblities. Now that Lawrence has come out with a second statement, it remains to be seen if the makers will retain him or opt for a replacement.
Laxmmi Bomb, which has Akshay playing a timid man, who gets possessed by a ghost of a wronged trans woman, is slated for release on June 5, 2020. Kiara Advani plays the female lead.